Kelowna Police Release Footage of Alleged Arsonist Who Damaged 20 Cars

Police in Kelowna have released video footage of a suspected arson that damaged at least 11 cars and destroyed nine others, in hopes the public can help identify a culprit.

On Wednesday around 4:20 a.m., Kelowna RCMP and firefighters were called to the 1900-block of Pandosy Street for a report of a fire outside a residential apartment.

The fire, which was spreading quickly, forced the evacuation of the building and spread to a nearby parkade. A total of 11 cars sustained heat damage, while nine others were completely destroyed.

"Key video evidence has been gathered from a surveillance camera installed near the scene," said Cpl. Jesse O'Donaghey in a statement Thursday.

"A full review of the footage has enabled police to deem the blaze an arson."

The footage gathered by police shows an unknown individual lighting a fire.Even before the suspect has time to cycle out of the camera's frame, a car can be seen erupting into flames.

The speed at which the fire grows has led police to believe an accelerant was used.

"RCMP ask all gas stations in the surrounding areas of this fire scene to conduct a review of their transactions in the hours leading up to the massive blaze," said O'Donaghey.

"We are particularly interested in any smaller point-of-sale purchases, especially those to an individual or individuals who attended the store on foot or on bicycle."

Anyone with information is asked to contact Const. Nathan Nickel at 1-250-470-6261.

no data
recommended articles
Todd Kohlhepp Confesses' to Being Serial Killer After Woman Found Chained Like a Dog' on His Land
An estate agent who allegedly kept a woman chained like a dog after burying her boyfriend in a shallow grave has confessed to being a serial killer who has claimed the lives up to seven victims, a US sheriff has told reporters.Todd Kohlhepp, 45, was arrested after police found 30-year-old Kala Brown "chained like a dog" inside a shipping container on his 95-acre (38-hectare) tract of rural land outside the town of Woodruff, South Carolina, it was reported.Police are said to have rescued her after hearing a banging sound when they arrived at Kohlhepp's property with a search warrant having tracked Ms Brown's last known mobile phone signals to the estate agent's land.Officers are understood to have found Ms Brown with chains around her neck and ankles, trapped inside the padlocked container. She had been missing since 31 August, and allegedly told police she had been in the container for two months.She is also said to have told officers that Kohlhepp, a registered sex offender, shot her boyfriend Charles Carver , 32, several times in the chest in front of her.After discovering Ms Brown on Thursday, police reportedly found Mr Carver's body in a shallow grave on Kohlhepp's land on Friday.Then, late on Saturday, Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright told a press conference that Kohlhepp had led police to two more gravesites and confessed to killing up to seven people.Four of his victims, it was reported, came in a single quadruple killing - the Superbike Motorsports massacrethat had baffled police and investigators for 13 years.The 6 November2003 shooting claimed the lives of the owner, his book-keeper mother and two employeesof Superbike Motorsports, a motorcycle shop in Chesnee. It was Spartanburg County's first quadruple homicide.Despite a series of rewards being offered, the killer of store owner Scott Ponder, 30, his mother Beverly Guy, 52, service manager Brian Lucas, 29, and mechanic Chris Sherbert, 26, had never been found. Investigators had struggled to come up with even a possible motive.On Saturday, however, Sheriff Wright told reporters: "There's no wondering any more.He told us some stuff [about the massacre] that nobody else ought to know." It also emerged that Kohlhepp has been a registered sex offender since he was convicted in Arizona in 1987 of raping a 14-year-old neighbour at gunpoint and threatening to kill her siblings if she called the police.It was reported that court documents show that during the rape, committed in 1986 when Kohlhepp was 15, he duct-taped his victim's mouth and tied her hands together.Kohlhepp served 14 years in jail before being released in 2001.He had to register as a sex offender but that did not stop him from getting a South Carolina estate agent's licence in 2006 and building a firm.Sheriff Wright found it"strange" that Kohlhepp managed the pretext of a normal life for so long.Afterthe alleged link to the Superbike Motorsports massacre was revealed, Scott Ponder's widow Melissa told reporters she had resigned herself to her husband's murder never being solved, until she was phoned on Saturday evening by one of the case's original detectives.She told reporters that detectives had told her Kohlhepp was an angry customer who had been in the shop several times."He knew too much about the crime scene," Ms Ponder said of Kohlhepp's account to detectives. "He knew everything." Scott Waldrop, who has lived next door to Kohlhepp's land for nearly 22 years, said he thought his neighbour was a serious Doomsday "prepper" who liked his privacy, but "he didn't seem like a threat".Mr Waldrop said when he saw the container, it was full of bottled water and canned goods. After buying the property two years ago, Kohlhepp immediately started putting a chain-link fence around it.Kohlhepp paid Mr Waldrop to put up no-trespassing signs, cut trees for him and other odd jobs around the property. Kohlhepp also installed deer cameras and put in bear traps throughout."I was the only one he let over there, I think because I laughed at his jokes and listened to him," he said. "I just hate to know somebody who's done something like this," Mr Waldrop said.Kohlhepp also has a house about nine miles away from his rural land in Moore, where neighbour Ron Owen said he was very private, but when they did talk across the fence, he was a "big bragger"."We didn't see any signs whatsoever that this was going on," Mr Owen said. "My first reaction's a baseball bat, but I know I'm not to take that in my own hands. God will deal with him."
The Latest: Survivor of Executed Serial Killer at Peace Now
STARKE, Fla. - The Latest on the execution of Florida serial killer Bobby Joe Long (all times local):8:30 p.m.A woman who survived an assault by convicted Florida serial killer Bobby Joe Long says his execution brought her peace.Lisa Noland sat in the front row at Thursday's execution of the 65-year-old inmate at Florida State Prison. She says she wanted to look him in the eye but he kept them closed."I wanted to be the first person he saw. Unfortunately, he didn't open his eyes," Noland said.She began to cry after leaving once it was over. Says Noland, "The peace that came over me is a remarkable feeling."Noland was 17 in 1984 when she was abducted and raped by Long, but he released her. She eventually led police to the man who later admitted killing 10 women in the Tampa Bay area. He drew the death sentence for one of the killings, of a 22-year-old woman.___7:30 p.m.Convicted serial killer Bobby Joe Long had no last words before he was executed for a 1984 murder spree that claimed 10 women.Witnesses say the 65-year-old Long simply closed his eyes as the lethal injection procedure began Thursday at Florida State Prison. In the front row was Lisa Noland, who was abducted and raped by Long before he released her - and she was able to lead police to him.Another witness had on a polo shirt with photos of all 10 victims on the back and the words, "The Ones That Matter."Long was pronounced dead at 6:55 p.m.He was captured after an eight-month killing spree in the Tampa Bay area. Long confessed to the crimes, receiving 28 life sentences and one death sentence for the murder of 22-year-old Michelle Simms.___6:55 p.m.A serial killer who terrorized Florida with a 1984 murder spree that claimed 10 women has been put to death.Authorities say 65-year-old Bobby Joe Long was pronounced dead at 6:55 p.m. Thursday following a lethal injection at Florida State Prison.He was captured after an eight-month killing spree. Long confessed to the crimes, receiving 28 life sentences and one death sentence for the murder of 22-year-old Michelle Simms.The killings began in March 1984. Most of the victims were strangled. Some had their throats slit. Others were bludgeoned. Authorities say the killer positioned most of the bodies in gruesome poses.Long's undoing was a 17-year-old. Long abducted, raped and then released Lisa Noland . She left evidence and gave police details that led to the man's capture.___6:30 p.m.The U.S. Supreme Court has cleared the way for the execution of a serial killer who killed 10 women in Florida.The justices denied the final appeals of 65-year-old Bobby Joe Long, who was set to receive a lethal injection at Florida State Prison. The planned 6 p.m. execution was delayed slightly while the justices considered the case.Long was condemned for the killing of 22-year-old Michelle Simms. He also was serving 28 life sentences for the other crimes committed in the Tampa Bay area.Long's undoing was a 17-year-old. Long abducted, raped and then released Lisa Noland. She left evidence and gave police details that led to his arrest.___6 p.m.The scheduled execution of a serial killer who killed 10 women in Florida has been delayed temporarily while the U.S. Supreme Court considers his final appeals.Sixty-five-year-old Bobby Joe Long was set to receive a lethal injection at 6 p.m. Thursday at Florida State Prison, but the justices had not yet ruled in his case. Barring a reprieve, the execution would take place later Thursday.Long was condemned for the killing of 22-year-old Michelle Simms. He also was serving 28 life sentences for the other crimes committed in the Tampa Bay area.___4:45 p.m.Prison officials say no one visited a serial killer facing execution for a murder spree that claimed the lives of 10 women in Florida in 1984.Barring a last-minute court reprieve, Bobby Joe Long is scheduled to receive a lethal injection at Florida State Prison on Thursday evening. Long was condemned for the killing of 22-year-old Michelle Simms. He also was serving 28 life sentences for the other crimes committed in the Tampa Bay area.Prison officials say Long's last meal was a roast beef sandwich, french fries, bacon and a soda.___10:20 a.m.A serial killer whose murderous spree claimed the lives of 10 women in Florida in 1984 is set to die.Bobby Joe Long is scheduled to die by lethal injection at Florida State Prison on Thursday. Long was condemned for one of the killings, that of 22-year-old Michelle Simms. He also had been serving 28 life sentences for the other crimes committed in the Tampa Bay area over an eight-month period in 1984.But he was undone by a 17-year-old who described being abducted, raped and released a day later. She gave police details that led to his arrest.Now that victim, Lisa Noland, is preparing to watch the execution. In an interview, she said she would tell long "Thank you" for picking her as a victim, because she helped solve the crime.
911 Call That Led to Arrest of Inmate Who Stabbed Deputy in Detroit Court Escape Released
DETROIT - Authorities have released a 911 call from a man who reported talking to a jail inmate who escaped from a Detroit court building after stabbing a sheriff's deputy with a comb.The call Monday night led police to 25-year-old Abraham Pearson, who had eluded authorities for 14 hours.The caller tells a dispatcher that Pearson spoke to him as he was leaving a convenience store and said, "Yeah, I'm the guy that got away earlier."Pearson faces arraignment Wednesday on a host of charges that include assault with intent to murder. Authorities say he stabbed the deputy in the neck with a sharpened comb after his handcuffs were removed in a court holding area. The deputy's uniform also was taken.Pearson left the courthouse and fled in a carjacked van.THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.A convict accused of fleeing a Detroit courthouse after stabbing an unarmed deputy and stealing his uniform was facing a slew of new charges on Tuesday, a day after his daring escape led to a daylong manhunt.Abraham Pearson, 25, is now charged with assault with intent to commit murder, armed robbery, carjacking and other crimes connected to his 14 hours on the lam. He eluded dozens of law enforcement officers searching wooded fields, overgrown city lots, alleys and vacant houses until a tip led to his arrest Monday night.Police said he had been hiding in a vacant home for most of the day, and that he was caught after a brief foot chase. The sheriff's deputy who was attacked, Harrison Tolliver, was treated and released from a local hospital.Pearson, also known as Derreck White, was being escorted to the seventh floor of the downtown Detroit courthouse Monday morning to be sentenced for armed robbery and other crimes. White attacked after his handcuffs were removed, using a sharpened plastic comb to repeatedly stab Tolliver in the neck, according to the sheriff."The part of the comb that he was stabbed with broke. It did not inflict any life-threatening injuries," Wayne County Sheriff Benny Napoleon said.Pearson stole Tolliver's uniform and ran from the courthouse, stopping only to force a woman from her minivan, then drove the vehicle from the scene, police said. He abandoned the minivan blocks away from the courthouse, on the city's east side.Dozens of officers fanned out across Detroit to search for Pearson, who police said spent most of the day hiding in a vacant house, and he "was attempting to flag down cars in an attempt to get a ride when police arrived," the sheriff's office said in a statement Tuesday.Pearson will face additional charges related to his alleged attack and escape, Napoleon said. He was expected to be arraigned Wednesday. The charges, which also include assaulting a police officer causing serious impairment, carry lengthy prison sentences."He's looking at a considerable amount of time," the sheriff said.Patricia Banford, whose van was stolen during the escape, said the suspect threatened her."He snatched the door open and said, 'Get out or I'll kill you!'" Banford told television station WDIV.The sheriff, who oversees security at the courthouse, said he would prefer to have more than one deputy escorting inmates but that the county can't afford it. Tolliver, 63, joined the sheriff's department after retiring as a Detroit police officer."It's a dangerous job," Napoleon said. "We're streamlined as much as we can."Napoleon said his office was trying to determine how the comb used to stab Tolliver was hidden from the time Pearson left the jail, to the inmate transport van and finally to the courtroom holding cell. He also said they are looking into whether official policies and procedures were followed or if "human error" occurred.Pearson also will be sentenced Sept. 23 in circuit court on his original carjacking and armed robbery conviction. He was facing 10 to 15 years in prison on those charges. He also was arraigned Tuesday on a warrant for failing to appear at Monday's sentencing, according to the sheriff's office.
"We Want Dignity": 75,000 Protest Against Emmanuel Macron in France
Police and anti-government protesters clashed near the Champs-Elysees and in other parts of central Paris Saturday with demonstrators hurling rocks and paint at riot police who responded with tear gas.The clashes came as thousands took part in a third weekend of "yellow vest" protests which have morphed from anger over fuel taxes into a broader anti-government movement.Crowds of protesters gathering at the Arc de Triomphe earlier found the Champs-Elysees locked down with police manning barricades and water cannon.While several dozen were allowed through after an ID check and search, many others -- some wearing gas masks or ski goggles -- remained behind and fought with police who fired rounds of tear gas.Spreading from the Champs-Elysees, protesters led police on cat-and-mouse chases through other parts of the capital, setting light to cars and construction equipment.Authorities said 160 people had been arrested by the afternoon and 65 people injured, including eleven of the 5,000 police officers mobilised for the protests.An estimated 75,000 demonstrators were counted across the country as of 3:00 pm (1400 GMT), the interior ministry said, which for the most part remained calm.The number was well below the first day of protests on November 17, which attracted around 282,000 people, and also down from the 106,000 who turned out last Saturday.Dark plumes of smoke in several parts of Paris, however, were testament to the escalation in violence, to the consternation of many of the "yellow vests", so-called for the high-visibility jackets they wear."We're a peaceful movement, but we're disorganised -- it's a mess because we don't have a leader," said Dan Lodi, a 68-year-old pensioner on the Champs-Elysees."You always have some idiots who come to fight, but they don't represent us at all," he said.Stores and restaurants along the Champs-Elysees as well as surrounding streets had boarded up windows, anticipating a repeat of the clashes last Saturday which President Emmanuel Macron compared to "war scenes".Chantal, a 61-year-old pensioner who came from an eastern Paris suburb, said she was avoiding the "hooligans" but was determined to send Macron a message on the rising costs of living."He has to come down off his pedestal," she said under cold rain on the Champs-Elysees. "Every month I have to dip into my savings."Others voiced indignation at graffiti sprayed on the Arc de Triomphe, a monument to French war dead, including phrases like "Macron resign" and "the yellow vests triumph".Although police managed to clear the square around the Arc de Triomphe toward midday, sporadic clashes spilled into nearby neighbourhoods, and hundreds of protesters later returned to the square.But further down on the Champs-Elysees, several hundred people marched calmly behind a huge yellow-and-red banner reading "Macron, stop taking us for idiots!""With all these tax hikes, there's not much left for eating at the end of the month," said Philippe, a high school cook in the Essonne region outside Paris.The "yellow vest" movement erupted on social media in October and has since become a wider protest against Macron, who is accused of failing to recognise the rising cost of living that has left many struggling.The countrywide protests have included many pensioners and have been most active in small urban and rural areas where demonstrators blocked roads, closed motorway toll booths, and even walled up the entrance to tax offices.Two people have died and dozens have been injured in the protests, which opinion polls suggest still attract the support of two out of three French people.Attempts by the government to negotiate with the grassroots movement have failed, in large part because representatives have insisted on public talks broadcast on TV."We want our dignity back and we want to be able to live from our work, which is absolutely not the case today," Jason Herbert said after walking out of talks with Prime Minister Edouard Philippe on Friday.Macron has sought to douse the anger by promising three months of nationwide talks on how best to transform France into a low-carbon economy without penalising the poor.He also vowed to slow the rate of increase in fuel taxes if international oil prices rise too rapidly but only after a tax hike due in January.But many protesters were unconvinced by Macron's speech on Tuesday."For two weeks we've been trying to make ourselves heard but nothing has changed," said Gaetan Kerr, a 52-year-old farmer from the Yonne region, said near the Champs-Elysees on Saturday."At some point Macron is going to have to listen, otherwise this is going to get worse and worse."
Sliding Door Murders Could They Have Been Solved?
When you have been a crime reporter for 40 years, many old cases are long forgotten. But there are those that stick with you - the ones where you still wonder, "What if?" They are the sliding door ones, where the slightest change of circumstance could have brought about justice rather than open files and unanswered questions.Peter MacDiarmid sat in the lounge room of the family home with his wife Sheila by his side as he described their daughter Sarah's last known movements nearly four years earlier. For me, it was a relief he was talking in a matter-of-fact way because it made me feel as though I wasn't intruding on their almost unbearable grief.And then he burst into tears. Sitting next to me was a blonde, female photographer waiting to take a snap for the story. "I'm sorry," he explained to her, "the sun just hit your hair like it would Sarah's." That is the burden of not knowing for relatives of murder victims. It simply never goes away.On July 11, 1990, Sarah played tennis with workmates then caught a train to Kananook Station, arriving about 10.20pm. Police believe she walked to her car carrying her backpack, which contained her work clothes, tennis racquet, Walkman and about $60.The strongest police theory is that a group of homeless drug addicts jumped Sarah as she walked to her 1978 Honda Civic at the railway station car park, stabbed her and stole her backpack. Her body has not been found. Eventually Peter, Sheila and son Alisdair moved to Brisbane to try and escape the daily physical reminders.Peter found that if his eye caught some dumped rubbish he would stop and search in the hope it would lead to Sarah's missing bag. "You would drive around looking for clues. It hurt too much." For Roger and Joy Membrey, the sharp pain of intense grief has been replaced by the dull ache of not knowing. Their daughter Elisabeth was murdered in her Ringwood home in December 1994. And like Sarah, her body has not been found.There were suspects, hope, false dawns and finally, a man charged. Shane Andrew Bond was a regular at the Manhattan Hotel where Elisabeth worked and was implicated by several witnesses as the killer. In 2012 Bond was acquitted of the murder, but has been left damaged by the investigation and trial. He became an ice user and has been moving around the country searching for anonymity.Naturally, the Membreys want the police to keep looking. And the Membreys have an ally from the strangest corner - one of Bond's relatives is calling for a reinvestigation to catch "the real killer".Deborah Boundy was killed by a ruthless group of gangsters to stop her implicating them in a paid hit, even though she had risked her own freedom to protect theirs.Yet after her murder many believed she had jumped bail, with police placing her on the top 10 most wanted list.When hitman Christopher Dale Flannery and his murder partner Kevin "Weary" Williams were charged with the murder of Melbourne businessman Roger Wilson, Boundy became the star prosecution witness.Wilson went missing on his way home to Narre Warren on February 1, 1980 and his body remains undiscovered.Boundy (who was having an affair with Williams) at first implicated the hit team but later retracted.Flannery, and those close to him, believed Boundy remained a loose end - even though she had refused to implicate them at the inquest. And Chris hated loose ends.On Christmas Day 1980 she had lunch with her parents, reported for bail (charged with perjury when she retracted her statement at the inquest) and then slipped over to a Richmond pub for drinks.Someone she knew lured her from the Royal Oak Hotel in Richmond, then forced or tricked her into writing a letter to her parents saying she was running away.So who was the killer?The chief investigator in the case, Frank Bellesini, says gangster Alphonse Gangitano (murdered in 1998) was the main suspect. Flannery was acquitted of the Wilson murder but went missing in Sydney in May 1985. Like Wilson, his body was not found.But the man alleged to have ordered the hit on Wilson and the woman who lured Debbie from the pub remain alive. She wisely keeps a low profile, while he occasionally takes to Twitter as if his past has been forgotten. It hasn't.Conventional wisdom is that serial sex offenders don't stop until they are caught or incapacitated, which makes the case of Karmein Chan so baffling.Karmein, 13, was abducted from her Templestowe home more than a quarter of a century ago in what was clearly a well-planned crime.The offender did his homework and hit the large house surrounded by a two-metre fence when parents, John and Phyllis Chan, were at the family business, a popular Chinese restaurant in Main Road, Lower Plenty.Occasionally I would eat there with then assistant commissioner Frank Green and his wife, Norma. They were regulars, where Phyllis would entertain front of house as part host and part comedian. Years later Frank's wake was held in the same room.Most police involved in the case believe it was a child abductor dubbed Mr Cruel, responsible for at least three other attacks from 1987 to 1991.In the three previous cases the victims had been released, which fed the hope Karmein would eventually be freed. But a year later her body was found at Edgars Creek, Thomastown. She had been shot three times in the head, execution-style.This didn't fit Mr Cruel's profile, as he had previously assured his victims they were not in danger. One told police: "He appeared to be acting out a fantasy like he was married to me. He showed this by the affection he showed to me and how chummy he was to me." Mr Cruel was obsessive about removing any possible forensic evidence - leading police to suspect he may have had some law enforcement experience. He also concealed his face from victims. Mr Cruel was constantly in the headlines, and Karmein told friends that placed in similar circumstances she would fight.This led police to speculate she may have grabbed his mask and was killed because she could identify him.So why did he stop? Perhaps the killing destroyed his elaborate fantasy world, or he was jailed on other offences, or he is dead.A police taskforce codenamed Spectrum identified 27,000 suspects and received 10,000 tipoffs. They checked 30,000 houses and arrested 73 people, but none was identified as Karmein's killer.In 2010 the case was reviewed and all the evidence is intact. All that is needed now is a name. I recently came across an ex-cop known to have molested children who fitted the Mr Cruel profile. But he had been investigated and cleared. Another dead end.If the first 48 hours are considered the most important in a homicide investigation, then the case of Jane Thurgood-Dove may have been doomed from the start.Jane, 34, was shot dead in front of her three children in her Niddrie driveway and the suspicion soon fell on a serving policeman obsessed with the married woman.He fitted the description of the pot-bellied gunman and wanted to buy a cemetery plot next to her's. He built a memorial to her inside his house, his mobile phone number and computer password were derived from her date of birth, and to top it off he failed a lie detector test when asked, "Are you responsible for the death of Jane Thurgood-Dove?" The case, while short of justifying laying charges, appeared compelling except for one flaw. He didn't do it.For five years police pursued the wrong man just as the killer had pursued the wrong woman, for the paid hitman was supposed to kill another blonde mother who lived in Muriel Street. The target was Carmel Kyprianou, whose crooked husband, Peter, had a habit of making enemies.One was former Crown solicitor Philip Peters, who had been caught planning to abduct and torture Kyprianou over a $200,000 fraud scam.Jane was killed in November 1997, just months after Peters was released after serving time for the abduction plot.Once the policeman suspect was cleared, the murder theory became that a drug dealer Peters met in prison was the go-between for the murder contract.The dealer, who once worked for Australia's biggest amphetamine syndicate, used his connections to pull together a hit team from Geelong bikies. Police say the triggerman was former Rebels Motorcycle Club bikie Steven John Mordy, while his mate, James Ian Reynolds, organised the getaway car.Before police could move Mordy died of natural causes and Reynolds in a boating accident, meaning the case appears to be at a dead end. But, and it is a big but, the go-between is still alive and there is a million-dollar reward on offer.And in the underworld, greed is a bankable currency that can sometimes prick the conscience of even the most callous crim.Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000.
Trenton Man Leads Police on Christmas Night Chase Through City and Ewing, Police Say
trenton police file 5.JPGTrenton Police SUV speeds up East State Street in this July file photo.(Michael Mancuso/The Times)TRENTON - A 21-year-old city man in a stolen minivan led police on a chase through Trenton's North and West Wards that briefly extended into Ewing on Christmas night before being caught, police said.Yazear Lee was arrested after he abandoned the van in the rear of Whittier Avenue and fled on foot. Police established a perimeter of the area and soon caught him nearby, police said.Officers Joe D'Ambrosio and Stewart Owens were on patrol on Brunswick Avenue near Chase Street shortly before 10 p.m. when the saw a silver Honda Odyssey van pass them in the opposite direction. From a look at the plate, one of the officers remembered the vehicle was reported stolen in the city the day before, Lt. Steve Varn said.D'Ambrosio and Owens caught up to the van on East Paul Avenue, activated their emergency lights and tried to pull Lee over. According to police, Lee briefly stopped, but then sped off when the officers emerged from their vehicle.Police pursued Lee throughout the western portion and northern section of the city until he came to a stop on Bellmont Circle off of Bellevue Avenue, Varn said.Officers briefly lost track of Lee when he ran away, but later were able to place him under arrest without incident. A search of his person revealed a clear sandwich bag carrying a substance suspected to be marijuana inside his hoodie, Varn said.Lee was charged with receiving stolen property, possession marijuana, eluding, obstructing the administration of law, resisting arrest, being an unlicensed driver, reckless driving, failure to stop or yield, and driving the wrong way on a one-way street.
Key Witness in Carter Trial Gives Testimony That Apparently Conflicts with What She Said in 1967
By LESLIE MAITLANDNOV. 14, 1976 This is a digitized version of an article from The Times's print archive, before the start of online publication in 1996. To preserve these articles as they originally appeared, The Times does not alter, edit or update them. Occasionally the digitization process introduces transcription errors or other problems. Please send reports of such problems to . PATERSON, N.J., Nov. 13-A key prosecution witness in the second murder trial of Rubin (Hurricane) Carter and John Artis today gave the court seemingly conflicting testimony when she described the getaway car she saw at the scene 10 years ago.The witness, Patricia Graham Valentine, who lived above the Lafayette Grill where three people were shot to death on June 17, 1966, provided for the police that day the description of the car she saw speeding away, when the sound of shots drew her to her window.It was her description of a white car with "triangular" or "butterfly shaped" tail lights and dark license plates with yellow or gold lettering that led police in Paterson to arrest Mr. Carter and Mr. Artis, who were riding in a similar white car.Witness Identifies CarWhen the police brought them, in their car, to the murder scene that morning, Mrs. Valentine was asked to identify the car and specifically the tail lights, which had left the strongest picture in her mind. She was subsequently taken to the police garage in Paterson to identify Mr. Carter's car, which had been impounded.AdvertisementMrs. Valentine, who also testified before the grand jury in 1966 and twice in the first trial in 1967, firmly declared today that the car she identified at the police garage, the same one taken by the police to her apartment following the murders, was the same one that she had seen from her window immediately following the shootings.AdvertisementShe told the grand jury in 1966, before the first trial, that she thought Mr. Carter's car was a 1966 Dodge Monaco, a model whose tail lights light up in two "triangles" across the rear of the car.When asked to draw those lights in court, Mrs. Valentine drew two "triangles," tapering toward the center of the car, with the points at the center squared off. She said under oath that the entire portion of the shapes she drew had been filled with light on the car used by the murderers.Pressed to the poiLt of tears when Lewis Steel, the attorney for Mr. Artis, questioned her on her description of the car, Mrs. Valentine identified a photocopy of a picture of a 1966 Dodge Monaco. It was, she said, "similar to Mr. Carter's car."Mr. Carter's car, however, was a 1966 Dodge Polara, a model that has triangular shaped, aluminum decoration in the rear, but the lights are more conventional. Only the extreme portion, the widest part, at the two ends of the car actually light up, Mr. Steel explained when the jury and Mrs. Valentine were sent out of the courtroom in the Passaic County Courthouse, where an unusual Saturday session was held.When Mrs. Valentine was put back on the stand for further examination by Burrell I. Humphreys, the Passaic County Prosecutor, she was given a photograph of Mr. Carter's car and asked to circle, with red pencil, the portion of the triangles she had seen lit up. She circled just the widest portion, describing what would be the lights on a 1966 Dodge Polara. It was clearly a surprise to the defense attorneys, who had heard her describe "over and over and over," as Mr. Steel said afterward, butterfly shaped lights, lighted in the form of triangles."If you look at the picture carefully," he said, referring to the photograph of the Carter car that Mrs. Valentine had testified to having seen several times, "you can see that only a portion of it lights up. Her friends were killed. People in that state of mind tend to want to see someone pay."Earlier in the day, Mrs. Valentine, who is 33 years old and described herself in court as a beautician and a housewife who now lives in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., rolled her eyes toward the ceiling in annoyance as she was questioned by defense attorneys.AdvertisementTheir questioning elicited the response, "I don't remember," on numerous instances, and appeared to be directed toward discrediting her version of what happened the day of the murders. Yesterday she was shown a bullet and a shell allegedly recovered by the police in Mr. Carter's car-testimony that she did not give in her prior statements or testimony.She admitted in court today that she had never mentioned the bullet or the shell before, a statement that appeared to contrast to lapses in her memory re garding other points on which she did testify in the past.A tall, slim woman with a blond bouffart hairdo, Mrs. Valentine sat with her lips drawn in a straight, tight line, and spoke in a low, husky voice when she was asked about other contradictions in her testimony.1966 Testimony ContradictedIn 1966, when she testified under oath before the grand jury, Mr. Steel said, she said she lived alone at the time of the murders. In this trial, she said was living at that time with her 18‐month‐old child, the father of her child (to whom she was not married) and with a woman friend."Which is the true testimony-the one you gave then or here?" Mr. Steel asked."Here," she answered.Mr. Steel then asked if she had been lying to the grand jury despite having sworn on the Bible to tell the truth."I wasn't intentionally lying to them," Mrs. Valentine responded.Further questioning brought out other conflicts in testimony compared with previous occasions and also led her to tell of her "real and deep feelings" for all of the murder victims, whom she said were friends of hers. On the day before the murders, she told the court, she was out with the owner of the Lafayette Grill.Mrs. Valentine will be called again as a witness on Monday.Judge Bruno L. Leopizzi of Passaic County Court warned reporters that he would provide severe sanctions against any member of the press who harassed the families of the jurors. He had been told, he said, that an unidentified reporter had called the home of one juror last night. That is not permitted, Judge Leopizzi said, adding that be would hold in contempt of court anyone doing so in the future.A version of this archives appears in print on November 14, 1976, on Page 42 of the New York edition with the headline: Key Witness in Carter Trial Gives Testimony That Apparently Conflicts With What She Said in 1967. Order Reprints| Today's Paper|Subscribe
Texas Man Suspected of Cutting Off Mom's Head with Hacksaw ...
DENTON, Texas - A Texas man used a hacksaw to cut off his mother's head before fleeing and leading police on a chase into Oklahoma last week before they arrested him, authorities said.Isaac Israel Warriner, 22, was being held Friday in a Denton County, Texas, jail on charges including the abuse of a corpse. He hasn't been charged with killing his mother, Sarah Warriner, 65, and investigators will consult with the district attorney's office and medical examiners to determine if additional charges will be filed, Denton city police spokeswoman Khristen Jones said.Police in Denton, which is about 35 miles (55 kilometres) northwest of Dallas, were called to an apartment complex May 5 by a neighbour who said Isaac Warriner "was acting weird" and carrying around cleaning supplies, according to an affidavit. Officers found his mother's headless body and the hacksaw inside the Warriners' unit. Her head wasn't found in the apartment and Jones, citing the ongoing investigation, declined to say whether it's been located.Authorities believe Sarah Warriner had been dead for at least two days before her body was found.Days earlier, she had taken her son to a Denton hospital after he used a razor to cut his arms, the affidavit said. A nurse called security when Isaac Warriner threatened to kill his mother and himself. Police eventually were called, but he fled the hospital before officers arrived.Isaac Warriner was spotted in his mother's car on May 6 and led police on a chase up Interstate 35 into Oklahoma, where he was arrested and held before being returned Thursday to Denton. Online jail records don't indicate whether he has an attorney.His father, Kenneth Warriner, told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram this month that his son suffered a mental breakdown a few months ago."She had allowed him to stay with her after his last rehabilitation stay," Kenneth Warriner said of his ex-wife. "He was prescribed psychotic drugs to try and help, but that didn't seem to work."
Six of Cambridgeshire's Best Police Car Chases Caught on Video
To be honest I love a police car chase, not the hyped up ones you see in the movies, but the gritty real life ones.Apparently my love of a car chase is shared with many of Cambridgeshire's criminals who have tried (unsuccessfully) to outrun police on a number of occasions.There was the drug dealer who got caught by armed police, and the time a member of a crime gang jumped a level crossing with seven puppies in his boot, and not forgetting the white van man who tried to ram a cop car off the road.So here's a few of my favourites we've reported on over the last few years; you can see all the best bits in the videos below:A litter of stolen puppies and eight burglaries worth of goods was found in the back of this driver's stolen Audi.The car had been used as a getaway car for a number of daylight smash-and-grab robberies.which resulted in a high-speed chase across the West Suffolk countryside.Video captured by the pursuing officer's dashcam and a police support helicopter shows the moment the driver swerves around stationary vehicles and smashes through the lowered safety barriers at the level crossing, destroying them both in the process.The driver of the train about to go through the crossing had to take emergency action to avoid a collision.The car is then seen speeding off, while the pursuing officer is left on the other side of the train tracks.The driver managed to escape from his police pursuers that day, but he did have to dump the red Audi TT in the process.When officers found the car it was full of stolen goods including a firearm and the seven puppies, which were returned to their owners.This teenage driver's high-speed bid to escape from police went disastrously wrong when he . George Bellamy, 19, had hired a black Mercedes when he caught the attention on police.Officers attempted to stop Bellamy and a pursuit began, which also involved the NPAS police helicopter. The pursuit continued along the single carriageway A605 - a well-known accident blackspot - with Bellamy reaching speeds of nearly 130mph.Bellamy was seen to cross carriageways over solid white lines, causing oncoming drivers to swerve.The pursuit continued at speed to via Haddon services and onto Orton Parkway. He turned off Orton Parkway and, in a bid to escape, turned right onto a roundabout facing the wrong way.However, he then crashed into a barrier, bringing the vehicle to a stop, and made off on foot with three passengers.One passenger was arrested at the car and the others, including Bellamy, were arrested nearby with the assistance of the BCH Dog Unit. Bellamy was located by a police dog and his handler on the roundabout island, alone, and close to him was a bag containing the Mercedes car key among other items.He was found with a small amount of cocaine, and what's thought to be drugs paraphernalia, were thrown from the vehicle by the front seat passenger.He was sentenced to 12 months in a young offenders' institution and was also disqualified from driving for two years and six months.My dad won't even let me borrow his Toyota IQ, so how the father of this 31-year-old who than crashed it reacted I do not know.Wesley May led police on a cocaine-fuelled high speed pursuit through residential streets in at about 12.30am on 14 September.May turned onto Fulbridge Road where he drove at more than 60mph in a residential area with a speed limit of 30mph.When officers turned on their blue lights, May failed to stop and continued speeding.The pursuit ended in Central Avenue, near its junction with Eastern Avenue, when May lost control of the Mercedes E220 and collided with a street light. The car took off, landed on its side and was significantly damaged.A roadside drugs test showed that May, who was also driving without a valid licence, had cocaine in his system.This who led police on a heart-stoppingcar chase reaching speeds of more than 100mph and road workers on the A141.Officers signalled to the 21-year-old driver to stop after it was indicated to them the car had no insurance on January 31, 2018.However, the driver ignored them and accelerated away.In the dashcam footage officers caught of the chase, Avory can be seen driving in the middle of the road between two lorries.This motorcyclist used fake plates so he could speed, clocking speeds of .It was only after his real registration was caught doing 60mph in a 20 zone that officers managed to get his address and pay him a visit.In the footage above a pursuing police car records the biker doing over 148mph on the A47 near Sawtry on April 9, 2017.The officers began a pursuit but due to its high speed and risk to the rider and other members of the public it was discontinued.Officers on patrol suspected a white Ford Transit van was being driven by a disqualified driver and .But instead of stopping the driver mounted a grass verge, pulled alongside the police car and drove into its side before speeding away along Cambridge Road, Newton, in July 2017.The van was rammed into the police car multiple times during the pursuit, causing more than £17,000 of damage, mainly around the driver's door and the engine.The high-speed pursuit continued into Little Shelford and Great Shelford and then into Woollards Lane and High Street where the van turned into the car park of the recreation ground.
Eye for an Eye: Rough Justice in Mexico's Wild West
EL MEZON, Mexico (Reuters) - Wielding machetes and rusty shotguns, a motley crew in face masks escorts dozens of captives onto a basketball court to face a public "trial" for suspected ties to criminal gangs. This is Wild West justice, Mexican-style. Outraged at relentless extortion, kidnapping and theft as a wave of drug-related violence washes over Mexico, farmers, shopkeepers and other residents in the mountainous southern state of Guerrero are taking the law into their own hands as "community police." Both state and federal police as well as the military leave them to their own devices, manning checkpoints at entries to towns, but venturing no farther. T-shirts pulled over their faces with holes cut for the eyes and nose, dozens of gunmen on Thursday flanked the tiny square in the hamlet of El Mezon, where more than 50 prisoners were paraded in public and accused of crimes from murder to rape to theft. No real evidence against them was presented. The vigilante justice underscores a serious challenge facing new President Enrique Pena Nieto, who has vowed to shift the focus away from a head-to-head fight with drug-smuggling cartels that has killed up to 70,000 people in the past six years and to a more effective campaign against extortion and violence. He plans to create a civilian-led police force made up of former military personnel that will replace the armed forces in the field, although until then, the government will keep troops out on patrol to deter violence. Many Mexicans have little faith in police forces or the justice system. In this corner of the country, they are taking on the job themselves. One of the gunmen watching over the alleged criminals on Thursday wore a Mexican "lucha libre" wrestler's mask, another a Spider-Man hood and a shotgun slung over his back. Some curled their fingers nervously over triggers. They paraded the accused in groups of five in front of hundreds of onlookers. A collective gasp rose when one man was accused of murder by dismembering, a common trademark of gruesome gangland killings. He stared back at the crowd with an impassive smile. Some local leaders gave testimony about how they themselves had been kidnapped by the accused. Sentencing will come later, organizers say. "Many people saw it when they grabbed me. They stroked my shoulder and said they would kill me," one community police leader told the assembly. "In my mind, I am dead, I haven't been able to get over it." Communities in the folds of rugged mountains east of the once-thriving and now gang-infested beach resort of Acapulco say police are often in cahoots with criminals, do nothing when crimes are reported and ask for bribes themselves. Extortion has flared in and around Acapulco over the past five years after two cartels clashed and one fragmented, creating a series of mini-cartels and kidnap gangs. "We are victims of extortion, of injustice. We have been abused," said Bruno Placido Valerio, who coordinates community police groups in 20 towns and villages - a total of about 240 gunmen. "The people are indignant at so much abuse. But we are not seeking anarchy or aiming to take justice into our own hands, but rather find a way out from the problem we are living with." While community self-protection is a tradition in some parts of Mexico, these more radical community policing groups are an offshoot that started to form in early January. His eyes peering out from behind a black ski-mask and clutching an aging .22-caliber rifle, a man who goes by the nickname "El Ciclon" or "The Cyclone," kept watch over residents of nearby communities attending the start of Thursday's "trial." He and others covered their faces to remain anonymous and avoid reprisals from friends of the captives, or from government authorities. "The people are fed up," the 45-year-old farmhand said. "Our government doesn't back us, so we decided to try to clear away all the bad people. We have to get rid of these animals." On the eve of the trial, Guerrero state officials staged a last-ditch push to defuse the situation, but to no avail. The communities must now debate whether to impose their own punishments, or opt to turn them over to the real courts. Some are demanding an eye for an eye. "They must be punished in line with the crime," said Odila Gonzalez Rios, who oversees community policing in the settlement of Copala, near the Pacific coast. "If they have raped, then they should be raped to see how it feels." "If they have killed? The same. ... They must die, because otherwise this will never end," she said. "Do to them what they have done to others." Acapulco last year earned the dubious distinction of being the murder capital of Mexico. Police pickup trucks patrol Guerrero state, bristling with semi-automatic weapons. Sandwiched between supermarket advertisements on the radio, advice is broadcast on how to anonymously denounce organized crime. The community policing "people power" approach comes at a cost. With so many guns openly held against the law, school absenteeism has soared. "Closing schools is no way to combat the social cancer of insecurity," said Silvia Romero Suarez, Guerrero state's education minister. "It impacts our schools because teachers are afraid and parents fear sending their children to class." The flourishing of community police groups in Colombia was a major factor in a deep spiral of violence that country grappled with as drug gangs co-opted them in the fight against Marxist guerrillas. Mexico's government now faces a careful balancing act in handling the issue to avoid stoking demands for self-determination elsewhere, like in the southern state of Chiapas. In the meantime, it is allowing gunmen to operate outside the law. "This is a violation of human rights. They are violating people's right to freedom," said Oscar Ortiz, a law professor based in Acapulco. "The Mexican state, and that of Guerrero in particular, should get into gear because you cannot permit the law to be broken like this." But some local officials insist the push for justice is forcing criminals to think again and making the area safer. "They have filled us, the authorities, with courage, I can't hide or deny that," said Severo Castro Godinez, mayor in the town of Ayutla. "Fortunately today, thanks to this movement, Ayutla is at peace. ... The community police are good people. They are responsible citizens. They are not looking to kill, they are looking to correct social behavior."
no data

Copyright © 2020 Concises YuGa Sports | Sitemap